Sunday 10 June 2018

Slowly, slowly, catchy Gibraltar Monkey

The training is going to have to start somewhere and as it is approaching Easter and I have two weeks holiday, what better time to start? Unfortunately today I only had two hours to spare and my front derailleur is still sticking so I had to choose my route carefully which meant no hills and not going too far from home. I have spoken to Tony at my Local Bike Shop (see link) to arrange delivery of new front derailleur and fitting so hopefully the hills will be targeted soon.

So after some consideration, I decided that Hayling Island is the flat destination to get the legs spinning nicely and getting into a decent rhythm for a couple of hours. Nothing too strenuous or anything to worry about; or so I thought. My god was it windy over there today. I was being buffeted so much from the side whilst going over the bridge that it was a struggle to keep a good line. Then I was close passed so many times that I gave up counting and finally, I almost came a cropper when being overtaken by a car that had total disregard for the oncoming vehicle. If I could have said my farewell prayers quickly enough I would have, however all I could manage was "Jesus Christ in Hell, you complete To$$er!!!". I am still here though through the grace of God, even though he did not get to hear those prayers and just a stream of blasphemous profanities with expletives instead.

Apart from the above heart in mouth moment though, I found that the ride would suit a quick early morning loop for the commute. I think that I shall get up early on Monday with a 0530 start and see what it is like and how I feel. I know that today was only 43km which equates to 27 miles which in turn is only a quarter of the average daily mileage for the sponsored ride but man must start somewhere. Out again tomorrow for training ride number two and then a club ride to Petersfield and back on Sunday, followed by the commute loop on Monday. Slowly, slowly, catchy Gibraltar Monkey!

Please help me get to my projected target of  £5000 for the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance by clicking on the JustGiving button and donating your desired amount. Alternatively you can donate by texting the code DRGN97 £10 to 70070. Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment