Sunday 17 June 2018

Charity Cycle Ride Background

So, here is a background of the challenge that I have decided to undertake and the reasons behind them.

Firstly the challenge is to cycle from Portsmouth down to Gibraltar. Quite an absurd challenge to set for oneself you may think, however there are reasons behind the madness. I am not the sort of person who wakes up one morning thinking that I shall get on my bike and ride the length of France and Spain just for the hell of it. I only agree to do these kind of things for a cause and it always involves charity. The charity that I want to raise funds for this time is the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance Service. I have ridden hundreds of miles for various charities and my most recent endeavours have included riding non-stop on a turbo trainer for 24 hours (toilet breaks only allowed) and last year I rode from the South Coast to Manchester, but this one is the most daunting and challenging yet. It is for a very good cause though and this is why I have agreed to set myself the target of riding near on 100 miles a day for 13 days (with one rest day towards the middle).

I am not doing this solo though. I will have at least one companion cyclist with me and I am hopefully going to arrange a support vehicle. Maybe the next challenge will involve a solo ride but I am not prepared to put myself through that yet.

The reason for the chosen charity is because I know a Gentleman who required the services of the regional Air Ambulance Service when he had a road traffic collision with a HGV whilst cycling home from work. He required extensive treatment and care urgently. I will not dwell on the extent of the injuries caused as I have not asked for his permission, however the Air Ambulance Service was required to get him to intensive care in a rush and this is his chosen charity. It will be a pleasure to raise as much for this cause as I can.

I have started a Just Giving Page and link this Blog to it. Please help us raise as much as possible for this very worthwhile cause and also to give us the drive and will to keep going. This Blog will have daily updates once the ride commences in September. Please read our journey and enjoy our suffering along the way.

EDIT:
I am ill!! I am sick and cannot continue with this ride!! I am disappointed, gutted, frustrated and feel guilty, a failure, a fraud. This endeavour is cancelled. I will not be riding this year. For those who have sponsored me, I am truly sorry. I feel like a thief, a charlatan, a phoney! If I can find an alternative way to EARN the money you have sponsored, I will! Sorry again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment